This blog is designed to record the findings of our family history, mainly for the benefit of the family, and to document the dead ends, the breakthroughs and the journey.
I’ll post the family stories as I’ve written them to now, and I’ll be grateful to anyone who can add further information or pictures, or point out errors.
Particular thanks to my sister Julia and my cousin Mandy who between them have done much more of the work than I have.

Friday 2 March 2012

Parish records

So far the stories on this blog take us back only to the start of registration of births, marriages and deaths in 1836 and the first nationwide census of 1841. Before that we are reliant on parish records which are usually held on film at county record offices.  So far we have found it difficult to spend any amount of time there. Julia and I have made brief visits to the National Archives at Kew and the Worcestershire Family History Centre in Worcester, but not spent nearly enough time there. Parish records will be our next major push, and we shall see how much further back we can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment