This blog is designed to record the findings of our family history, mainly for the benefit of the family, and to document the dead ends, the breakthroughs and the journey.
I’ll post the family stories as I’ve written them to now, and I’ll be grateful to anyone who can add further information or pictures, or point out errors.
Particular thanks to my sister Julia and my cousin Mandy who between them have done much more of the work than I have.

Tuesday 23 October 2012

Who was James Morris the plater's father


This from Geoffrey Morris
I'm beginning to think that our ancestor was not George Morris but Thomas. The only likely entry I've found (so far) in the 1841 Birmingham census is for a family in Pritchit (now Pritchett) Street, close to New John Street, where James Morris, father of James and Alfred (Alfred my Grandad), was born in September 1839. Ancestry lists them as Tomes and Rosina Morris, both aged 25, but someone has corrected this transcription to James, which clearly right (see the attached). Also there was their presumed son Jos or Jas, aged one, which (if he wasn't Joseph but James) could well be my great-grandfather. Rosina is a reasonable version of Rosanna(h), whose name gets spelt in several ways. Also here is the presumed father/grandfather, Thomas, aged 65, so born in about 1796. He was a brewer, and his son (presumably his son) a labourer. Where Thomas's wife, if any, was (dead? visiting?) I have no idea. I've tried to find her through the IGI, but there are at least half a dozen candidates. Pending further and better particulars, as the lawyers say, I'm assuming Thomas is our ancestor. Which means removing a large number of relatives from my tree!

 He has a point. James the plater and Rosehannah don’t show in the 1841 census separately, but the 1841 census isn’t very reliable. However I found George Morris as James the Plater’s father through IGI which is equally unreliable.

So what makes me think that it is George rather than Thomas.
·         George was a gunmaker, as was Rosehannah’s father, so they may have known each other.

·         There is no record of Thomas having a son called James in the IGI

·         In 1839 on James the chainmaker’s birth certificate the family were living in New John Street. Unfortunately we don’t know where they were living in 1849 when James the Plater died , as he died in hospital in Bath Row.

·         Thomas is given as a brewer in the 1841 census and James as a labourer but we know that james was a skilled man, a silver plater.

·         Even if James and Rosehannah were at the same address as Thomas in 1841, he could be some other relation, with whom they were staying temporarily .

The jury is still out and it will need some digging in the parish records of St George’s and St Philip’s, where James the son of George was christened according to IGI.

No comments:

Post a Comment