This blog is designed to record the findings of our family history, mainly for the benefit of the family, and to document the dead ends, the breakthroughs and the journey.
I’ll post the family stories as I’ve written them to now, and I’ll be grateful to anyone who can add further information or pictures, or point out errors.
Particular thanks to my sister Julia and my cousin Mandy who between them have done much more of the work than I have.

Wednesday 4 April 2012

More mysterious Mills

I finally found the family in 1861, by doing an address search on their 1851 address and they are still there. Still in Dudley Road Sedgely but very badly transcribed

Mils
Elizabeth
Head
Married
1814
Labourer
Sedgley
Mils
Julia
Daughter
Unmarried
1837
Tailoress
Sedgley
Mils
Maxian
Daughter

1846
Tailoress
Sedgley
Mils
Thanya
Daughter

1846

Sedgley
Mils
Phobe
Daughter

1845

Sedgley
Mils
Hannah
Daughter

1854

Sedgley
Mils
Sarah
Daughter
Unmarried
1857

Sedgley

It is clear from the original however that Elizabeth is a laundress not a labourer and that her daughters’ names (especially if you already know) are Miriam, Thirza and Phoebe. Hannah and Sarah have obviously been born since the last census. So, is William dead, as implied by Elizabeth being “Head”, or is he away, as implied by her being “married”? I’m guessing the former, in whichcase he died some time after 1857 and before 1861.

By 1871 the family have left Dudley Road but I am now inclined to believe that they are somewhere in the area. Hannah is visiting the Saunders family in Nitte Place Dudley in 1871, which doesn’t help me locate them. (And John Saunders appears to be married to a Marian (Miriam?) not Julia. I can’t trace Elizabeth, Thirza or Sarah Emily in 1871, but we know that Sarah Emily married Joseph Hamilton in 1873 at St Edmund’s in Dudley and that Joseph lived in Tipton


IGI suggests that William Mills and Elizabeth Webb married in 1832 in Wolverhampton.

And until I can check back further in parish records this is as far as I can take the mysterious Mills family.

No comments:

Post a Comment