This blog is designed to record the findings of our family history, mainly for the benefit of the family, and to document the dead ends, the breakthroughs and the journey.
I’ll post the family stories as I’ve written them to now, and I’ll be grateful to anyone who can add further information or pictures, or point out errors.
Particular thanks to my sister Julia and my cousin Mandy who between them have done much more of the work than I have.

Sunday 1 April 2012

More on the Mills family


There is no sign so far of this family after 1851, but I do now think I have found the right family through a slightly tenuous link.

The Mills family was in Sedgley in 1851, at Dudley Road Sedgley. If I have the right family they are

William Mills
1811
Fire Iron Maker
employing 3 men and three boys
Born Sedgley
Elizabeth Mills
1814
Wife
Born Sedgley
Mary Ann Mills
1834
Daughter - Tailoress
Born Sedgley
Julia Mills
1836
Daughter
Born Sedgley
Elizabeth Mills
1841
Daughter
Born Sedgley
Miram Mills
1844
Daughter
Born Sedgley
Thirza Mills
1845
Daughter
Born Sedgley
Phoebe Ann Mills
1849
Daughter
Born Sedgley



In 1841 this family is living at Sheepcot Wall Sedgley and William’s occupation is whitesmith

And my tenuous link is that Julia Mills married John Saunders in 1865, whose brother Alexander Saunders was a witness to the marriage of Sarah Emily Mills to Joseph Hamilton in 1873. Alexander, John and their father Richard were all whitesmiths, living in Dudley and are also missing from the 1861 and 1871 censuses. By 1880 Alexander has reappeared  and is single living with his parents at 40 High Street Dudley but Richard and the Mills family are still missing. Elizabeth turns up in the 1891 census as a widow living with Sarah Emily and Joseph in Roebuck Street.

Where did they all go?

No comments:

Post a Comment